We’re excited to add uphill skiing and riding to the long list of ways to enjoy the mountain this winter! Now, you may be wondering why the heck anybody would want to climb the slopes themselves when a chairlift is conveniently available. Uphilling, or “touring” as it’s often called, is the sport’s fastest-growing segment, and for a good reason. There’s just something indescribably awesome about earning your turns. It gives you the opportunity to really slow down and enjoy nature as you work your way up the hill, and on the way back down you’ll truly appreciate every turn. Not to mention, it’s a fantastic workout and a fun way to stay in shape during the winter months.
All proceeds from our uphill ticket sales will go directly to supporting the National Forest Foundation’s Stewardship Fund and will be used to fund conservation and recreation projects here locally in the Monongahela National Forest. Learn more about our partnership with the National Forest Foundation here.
Some things to know before you go:
- Uphilling is permitted exclusively at our Silver Creek ski area during regular slope operating hours. Alpine touring equipment and splitboards are welcome.
- Uphill tickets are $20 per day or $75 for an uphill season pass, and can be purchased at the Silver Creek ticket desk or the Depot.
- Slopes designated for uphill travel are marked in purple on the 21.22 winter trail map.
- Bear Claw will be accessible via uphill travel until 9:00pm nightly, as opposed to closing at 4:30pm to lift access skiers/riders. Just remember, there are no lights on this slope so don’t forget your headlamp!
- You must check-in with Silver Creek Ski Patrol before uphilling at night.
- Please be sure to read our full Uphill Policy before earning those turns.
Uphill Thang | February 12, 2022
If uphilling sounds like something you’d like to try, there’s no better time than our first ever Uphill Thang on Saturday, February 12, 2022. We’ll have both alpine touring and splitboarding demos available from top brands like Burton, Blizzard, and Volkl. And Athletic Brewing Co will also be on-site to quench your craft beer cravings with their non-alcoholic brews. Don’t miss it!